If your only understanding of tacos is that they are ground beef in a hard shell or chicken in a soft shell, then you are missing the taco boat by a mile. Seriously. Mexicans the world over are enjoying a variety of tacos that would blow your mind, and this is just the recipe to start expanding your taco horizons.
There isn’t much that can’t be improved upon by adding bacon, and the humble taco is no exception. This combination of earthy roasted mushrooms, caramelized onions, and crispy, juicy bacon goes perfectly with smooth guacamole and rich, freshly-griddled corn tortillas. You will LOVE these, and they make a perfect pairing with 3-ingredient margaritas!
|Mushroom Bacon Tacos||
- 1 package bacon, sliced into 1/4″ batons
- 1 lb button mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- guacamole (see note)
- corn tortillas (see note)
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, combine bacon, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper
- Roast the bacon, mushroom, onion filling in the oven, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp-tender and the onions and mushrooms are nicely caramelized
- Meanwhile, prepare guacamole and corn tortillas according to the note
- Assemble tacos by placing a scoop of bacon filling, and a scoop of guacamole into each corn tortilla
- Wash down with margaritas
You can use store-bought guac or make your own!
To make corn tortillas into something special, you can take the time to make your own, OR you can take a minute to warm store bought ones on a smoking-hot cast iron griddle. The store bought ones taste almost homemade when they have a little char on each side from a glance on hot iron!
Photo Credit: Kristie Webber