We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but who has time? You do, as long as you have two minutes, a blender, and a desire for a delicious, healthy, well-balanced meal. This breakfast smoothie contains: complex carbs, healthy fat and a naturally sweet flavor. It is both delicious and quick–super-duper quick if you throw everything together in your blender (I use my Magic Bullet) the night before and refrigerate until morning.
I used to think coffee was enough to get me through until mid-morning or even lunch, and sometimes I just plain couldn’t choke down anything in the mornings. But once I started serious morning workouts, I finally realized that all those experts are right: you should eat within an hour of waking up. It is bad for you (and your metabolism!) to go that many hours without food. Your body does not like to be starved, and coffee does not count! Once my trainer introduced me to this smoothie, I started drinking half before my workout, half after. I now look forward to my first meal of the day, because this smoothie is just that good. And, at around 300 calories, it’s a fantastic way to give yourself a boost in the morning.
|Quick, Balanced Breakfast Smoothie|
- 1 cup almond, coconut, or soy milk
- 1 or 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal
- *1 tablespoon flaxseed or olive oil
- 1/2-1 whole medium-sized banana
- A few blueberries
- *Note: the flaxseed/olive oil are added as a source of healthy fat and are not necessary for the overall taste of the smoothie.
- Throw all ingredients in the blender, mix until smooth, and enjoy!