Periodically, I check in with the nutrition community to see what the most recent dietary villain has become. For a while it was eggs. Then it became carbs. Then meat. Then carbs again. And now, probably to preserve the ability to condemn ingredients for years to come, they’re focusing more on specific items. Like pasta. Apparently I’m only supposed to eat whole wheat pasta.
I mean, no thank you.
I’d rather eat pasta 50% less, and eat the regular kind than subject myself to the mealy, gummy texture of whole wheat pasta. To each their own. Some people really like it. Like, my dog. But he also likes used tissues, so let’s not take him too seriously.
In an effort to reduce my consumption of delicious, delicious pasta, I’m making the grave sacrifice of putting my meatballs on something else. Something novel…like…bread. Yes, I know I didn’t invent that idea, but this version kicks booty, so give it a try!
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 C Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C milk
- 1.5 T kosher salt
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes (or a packet stolen from your local pizza parlor)
- 1/2 t oregano
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients with your hands until combined, being careful not to overmix into a paste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Make a small test patty to taste for seasoning
- Adjust as necessary
- Using an ice cream scoop, make a golf-ball sized ball of meat and place it into a muffin tin hole
- Continue, putting one meatball in each segment of the muffin tin
- Bake until the outside is golden brown and sizzling, and the interior is tender
- Toss with your favorite marinara
- Serve in a roll, topped with shredded mozzarella if you wish