Post babies, I became compulsively aware and jealous of something I called “mom style.” Which was a term I bestowed upon ultra stylish moms who moved about society looking effortlessly chic and trendy, while I labored through my days frumpy and milk stained.
Lisa Pellegrini Penzone is on point. She’s an athlete, photographer, working Italian super mom to her son Calvin, and has made embracing her new body and love of skinny jeans look like a piece of cake.
I was so excited to pin Lisa down for a quick chat about affordable style, body confidence and some serious accessory envy.
How would you describe your body?
Hourglass… with a little more sand in the bottom. I love my shoulders and strong arms, my ample (for me) chest (thank you, breastfeeding!), my big, round booty and most of all, my defined waist.
You work outside the home, so how are you able to translate your personal style into an office setting?
We generally have a casual dress code at work, so this season, I’ve been living in my Old Navy Rockstar jeans and boots (thanks Brittany for helping me find these awesome jeans!). The same goes for my life outside of work – comfortably stylish whether I’m on the floor playing with my son, out and about shopping with my family, or working hard at a photo shoot.
My favorite outfits these days revolve around statement shoes and my aforementioned Rockstar jeans. I love how effortlessly versatile and chic knee-high boots are, and the jeans fit and flatter very nicely. And I’m always on the lookout for cute, fitted tops, and I like to rock the scarf look now and then. My favorite outfits incorporate all of these elements and are just the right balance of comfort and style for me, so my confidence soars and I feel my best.
If I have to pick just one place, I pick Old Navy. I am very frugal, and I definitely lean toward classic looks as opposed to jumping from trend to trend, so I can score both everyday basics and stylish staples without spending too much. But I do also love browsing Modcloth… maybe one day I’ll splurge on something amazing there. I’d love to add more quirk to my wardrobe.
Name your 5 beauty must haves.
1. Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream in Medium. I didn’t have the best skin as a teen and though my twenties, but though these days I’m usually pretty clear, I like to even out my skin tone, and this cream works so well without appearing cakey or feeling thick and heavy. And I love that it also moisturizes and provides SPF 30 protection.
2. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer in Rhubarb. I am addicted to this lip gloss. It feels nourishing, the color is divine, and I love that it’s all natural.
3. Cover Girl’s Lash Blast Volume Mascara. For the money, this is by far my favorite mascara – goes on lush (but not clumpy) and defines lashes at the same time. I would seriously do a commercial for it.
4. Moroccan Argan Oil. I have crazy hair – it’s wavy/curly, thick, on the dry side, and there’s a lot of it. This oil helps tame frizz and provide moisture to help bring out my curls, and it smells heavenly.
5. Clinique Happy for Men. The men’s cologne is just a little less sweet than the women’s perfume, and I swear it lasts longer.
Confidence! Dress YOUR body, just as it is, the way it makes YOU feel your best. When you’re truly confident in yourself, you walk a little taller, hold your head up a little higher, strut a little more… you glow!
Want more curvy fashion from real women? Click here to check out our previous featured CGG stars!
Continue the conversation online, join the Curvy Girl Guide Community now!