One of my favorite flavor combinations is mozzarella, tomato and basil. There’s something about the earthy flavor of the basil mixed with the acidity of the tomato that can’t be beat. And throw in some delicious, mellow mozzarella and you really can’t go wrong. While I am always in the mood for a traditional caprese salad, there are times that call for a different presentation.
When I’m in need of some comfort food, one of my go to items is a Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. I’ve been known to use fresh mozzarella and traditional mozzarella. While I would normally choose fresh mozzarella for caprese, both are delicious and will work perfectly for this sandwich.
|Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich||
- 4 Slices of Bread (I prefer Cracked Wheat Sourdough)
- Butter, Room Temperature
- 4-6 Slices Tomato, 1/4″ thick
- 6-8 Basil Leaves
- 6-8 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Spread the butter on the outside of each of the four slices of bread.
- On the opposite side of two pieces of the bread, layer the cheese, tomato, and basil.
- Top with freshly cracked pepper, to taste.
- Each item should completely cover the item below.
- Top with more cheese, to your preference. I consider this step the glue that holds the whole thing together. Plus, it’s an excuse for more cheese.
- Top with the remaining pieces of bread.
- Grill in a pan or on a griddle until golden brown.