So, podcasts are having a moment.
Meredith and I have been in and out of the podcast game since 2011, but my interest in broadcasting started way earlier when I watched the movie Haunted Honeymoon with my dad. Gilda Radner and Gene Wilder were old timey radio personalities who get engaged and return to Wilder’s family’s haunted castle, blah blah blah, spoiler alert I think he’s a werewolf, I can’t remember, Young Frankenstein and Hanky Panky are better, watch those instead.
The point is, people got paid to be idiots and have fun on the radio, and I absolutely wanted in.
First there was Three Martinis In (2011) with our high school bff, Casey Clark. Then Brittany & Meredith Live (2012), which was our first venture into an actual recording studio, but they both died off as our schedules got insane and podcasting plummeted to the bottom of our priority list; under jobs we actually got paid to do and motherhood.
But, the obsession has never gone away.
I wish I knew how to quit you, podcast, but I just love talking into a microphone with absolutely no expectation of looking clean or put together enough to venture out into public.
*wistfully twirls arm pit hair and stares off into the distance*
So here we are, again. Over a year into our podcast, Girl’s Girls. And I love it so much.
This time around, we dug in. We researched our own equipment, agonized over sound quality, and traveled to conferences and watched webinars to meet and talk to professionals from equipment brands and hosting platforms. We were tired of feeling helpless when something went wrong, and having to depend on others to make a podcast just happen for us.
And let me tell you, it feels so much better to own it, you guys.
Every Thursday we produce a show about our lives, politics, relationships, sex, motherhood, current events, pop culture, and feature other bad ass women and their stories.
I want you to listen to it.
Potential Response #1: Cool, B. I’m super into podcasts already, so I’ll just add yours to my list! Hey thanks! Click here to see how to listen, and scroll down to the bottom for my podcast recommendations!
Potential Response #2: Sorry, they just aren’t my thing. That’s fine. There’s tons of popular things I don’t dig, myself, so I totally get it. Like: Handmaid’s Tale, coconut water, the Lakers, bralettes…
Potential Response #3: I would love to, but I have no idea how podcasts work. Hey, I got you! Let me walk you through that right now.
STEP 1: Podcasts are free and everything you need is already on your iPhone.
Alright, I’m gonna need you to disregard all the scary, panic attack inducing, numbers you see on my phone screen right now, and listen to what I am telling you. If you have an iPhone, the purple podcast app is already on your screen. All you gotta do is click it.
If you have an android, I don’t really understand your lifestyle, but you can listen to podcasts for free through Google Play.
There are also some really fun and free apps to dive into once you get a little more acclimated, like Podcast Addict, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Spotify. But let’s settle down and focus on this first.
STEP 2: Search for Girl’s Girls Podcast.
Oh look. There we are!
STEP 3: Subscribe!
This is an important step.
STEP 4: Click “My Podcasts” to find all your faves.
What’s up, new best friends?!
Between audiobooks and podcasts, I don’t listen to the radio anymore, and I don’t miss it one bit. I’m too busy laughing with funny people, destroying the patriarchy, and learning new shit. Plus the music the youth is producing these days? Yeesh.
(No you listen to the Moana soundtrack constantly in 2018.)
Alright, I don’t want to leave this post without giving a shout out to my favorite podcasts. I mean, it’s only a question I see asked ten times a day on Facebook, and since I’m not a crime podcast fan, myself, I am always eager to pass along and get recs for less murdery options.
So what do I listen to?
From left to right in no particular order, because mama doesn’t play favorites…
- Pod Save America: Brilliant political podcast from former Obama WH aides, and twice a week they remind me that maybe our country isn’t on fire, at least not all the way.
- Death, Sex & Money: I am bad at adulting, and this keeps me entertained enough to trick me into being responsible with money and shit.
- Getting Curious with Jonathon Van Ness: God dammit, I love JVN.
- 2 Dope Queens: Phoebe and Jessica are hilarious and know everything. Comedy, politics, celebs, I love them.
- Bitch Sesh: Popped my cherry on this podcast, and I’m still obsessed with their Real Housewives recaps.
- Potterotica: This feels self explanatory. I LIKE WHAT I LIKE.
- Being Boss: Empowered woman shit we all need.
- Why Won’t You Date Me? Nicole Byer (host of Nailed It on Netflix) is raunchy and hilarious and has the best online dating stories.
- The Wilderness: Brilliant docu-style podcast about the democratic party and wtf is happening to it.
- Dumb Gay Politics: More hilarious political breakdowns, and emotional breakdowns, too. These are my people.
- How to be Amazing: Michael Ian Black interviews really cool and interesting people.
- Armchair Expert: Dax Shepard does this, also, mostly with celebs. Isn’t learning about others fun?
- Adventures in Roommating: I’m obsessed with body positive advocate, Meghan Tonjes. I listen to everything she creates.
- Lovett or Leave It: Pod Save America host, John Lovett (the other one) does a hilarious political show with celebs, politicians and community advocates in front of a live audience.
- The Butterfly Effect: Weirdly addciting docu-style podcast about the effects of Pornhub on society and the porn industry.
- Call your Girlfriend: Current events with the besties you need in your life right now!
What podcasts do you listen to?
Hey girl, want to follow our podcast and get upcoming fall live show information? You should absolutely like our Girl’s Girls Facebook Page.