Because

by Brittany on March 26, 2013

in Chubby Girl, Love

I arrived in Florida to tornadoes, hail, cool temperatures… oh, and an email box full of requests from morning news shows.

All because a chubby girl wore a bikini on the internet.

I mean, can you even imagine!?

So, yesterday we spent the day poolside with the crew of Good Morning America.

We talked about bikinis, beauty and internet reactions; the good, the bad and the ugly.

But, when it came to asking me why I did it, well, that was the easiest question of them all.

photo(94)

It was staring right at me.

The segment will run later this week.  I will keep you updated with the run time!

As for today, I have a date with my kids and a crazy expensive mouse.  More on that tonight. You know, after I’ve had enough wine to forget my feet hurt, my thighs are chaffed and I just spent three or four mortgage payments in the most positively “magical” way.

photo courtesy Amber Doty

kristeneileen March 26, 2013 at 7:44 am

You make me feel brave. I don’t want to gush – you already know of my enormous crush on you – but seriously, with you, it’s always all happening. I kind of want to be you when I grow up. Love, love, love… and what a mom you are, Brit. Good God-Damn. Talk about a Modern Woman. XO

Becky C March 26, 2013 at 9:30 am

^^What she said! ♥

Courtney April 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Agreed. I looked at the pic and the caption and it brought me to tears before I even read it

Mea March 26, 2013 at 7:54 am

I love that you do this!

But…I must know – where did you get Gigi’s shirt? My daughter needs it.

Shannon March 26, 2013 at 8:04 am

I love it! Perfect. Emotional and true. Keep up the momentum! :)

Joy March 26, 2013 at 8:09 am

You’re simply amazing! That’s the best reason of all to be proud of who you are, they learn their confidence from our example….I have to remember not to bash myself in front of my girls.

Thanks as always, xoxo

amy March 26, 2013 at 8:13 am

this brought an immediate tear to my eye.

Quit making my uterus ache!

Amy Simmons March 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

I am so proud that you are a positive voice for women of all ages and sizes. Keep up the great work.

Kelli G. March 26, 2013 at 8:57 am

This made me cry! Having a daughter is the ultimate reason to see the real beauty in all of us. Thank you for this. <3

Cindy March 26, 2013 at 9:11 am

What other reason is there?

LouisianaMeredith March 26, 2013 at 9:29 am

That photo? Has me SOBBING!!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again–you are my hero, Rosalie!!

Jen Smith March 26, 2013 at 9:30 am

I love it. We need more women like you to teach out daughters to rock who they are, not who society tells them to be. Plus, you totally rock a bikini, so what were you nervous about anywho?

Congrats!

Alison March 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Exactly! The world needs more awesome role models for our kids to learn beauty doesn’t only come in one particular package!

Becky (Princess Mikkimoto) March 26, 2013 at 9:49 am

Fist bumps and group hugs all around!!!

Kim March 26, 2013 at 9:51 am

You rock girl.

Katrhleen March 26, 2013 at 9:59 am

Great photo! Says it all. Love the sassy hands on hips.

Mary V March 26, 2013 at 10:01 am

Looking forward to your GMA appearance. And I can totally relate to the expensive mouse trip – we did that last week. Broke the bank but was worth every minute, especially as my son is in a wheelchair and Disney is so accomodating! He smiled all day long – as did his Mama. Have fun!

Kathleen March 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

Oops – maybe they are not sassy hands on hips after all. Love the pigtails then – or as my daughters called them, “pigponytails!”

Melissa March 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

You can tell I’ve really got my priorities in order because my biggest reaction to this story was, “OMG, Gigi’s hair is SOOOO long!!!!”

victoria March 26, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Yes. Exactly what I thought! Oh priorities…

Heather March 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

awe tear :*)
You’re such a good role model and inspiration!

Tnblondy2 March 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

As a mom of 3 (2 of them girls), that totally got me all choked up. Its a super hard job and it doesn’t get any easier. You’re doing amazing, momma!

Jaclyn March 26, 2013 at 10:37 am

So proud of you!!

Cas March 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

I seriously cried…. cried because I have one of those too and my greatest wish hope and dreams are I do something that makes her world better.. that makes her brave…and that makes her proud…. and you did it for yours and you did it for all of ours.

Rachel @ The House of Burks March 26, 2013 at 11:02 am

I am a new reader and I wanted to say thank you for being you. For giving me a little more courage to just go out in a swimsuit with an I’M HERE TO LOUNGE SO DEAL WITH IT attitude and to not feel so self-conscious about my body. It’s a big hangup for me and your post really spoke to me {and you ROCKED those bikinis}. Enjoy your time with the Mouse in one of my favorite places on Earth!

Chloe @Ergo-Blog March 26, 2013 at 11:07 am

Good for you! Wow Congratulations! What an honor!

Amanda- The Southern Unbelle March 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Congrats on your Good Morning America appearance, can’t wait to see it. Enjoy your crazy expensive rodent visit.

Rebekah March 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Congrats on the TV spots! I never watch Good Morning America, and I’m terribly forgetful, but I really want to try to remember to set my DVR for this one!

Spandex shorts under a dress. That’s the ticket. My Disney-loving friend taught me that for our trip last year, and that combination really was magical. A dress to keep you cool and the shorts to prevent flashing and chafing.

kate blue March 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Double high 5′s!! you wearing a bikini…bold…awesome…and braver than I could ever be! Wish more people felt comfortable enough to see that grown women overexercising & dieting and more for @ size 0-size 6 just ain’t right! ps-loved the 1st bikini on you (muy sexy) but I couldn’t do it since halters hurt me, my neck (and my 42DDs) way too bad!

Sierra March 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Even if Gigi has no problems with body image, you’ve taught her how to fight and love. What a woman she will be!

shelby March 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

There are no other words than You Are Amazing!!!!
I struggle with my 16 year old daughter trying to make her love who she is and she can do anything she sets her heart to. This past weekend I overheard her telling her friends that they need to stop stressing over their weight and if the boys don’t like them for who they are then screw em! It made my heart do flips!!!!!
Thank you for being you!!!!!

My Kids' Mom March 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

SOBBING!! At work :( Damn you Brittany! You always get me. Hope you had a blast in FLA

Becky March 26, 2013 at 3:39 pm

One word – AWESOME!!!

Love it (and you)!!

Jana Frerichs March 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Holy shit girl. You are amazing. I have tears in my eyes right now. You fuckin rock.

Kim March 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Where is the like button. You amaze me. You are the roll model I wanted when I was growing up. You are some of the good kharma in this world. Bless you.

Carrie March 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm

All I can say is YOU ROCK!!!!

Jessica March 26, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Completely awesome. I think you being of GMA will reach more women than those of us who read your blog. You’ve given me the courage to not give up, and because you made the navy blue Land’s End bikini look so damn good, I am thinking of ordering it and trying to deal with the anxiety of wearing it.

Thank you for being the virtual best friend a girl needs. I feel like you’d be absolutely amazing to go shopping with–you are daring in your choices, but you make smart ones.

Thank you for making being big not as painful and (almost) tolerable!

alicia March 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm

you are an inspiration and a role model that women and their daughters can look to.

thank you. i have hope that the world may soon change to one of acceptance and openness to those of us who are dealing with size issues.

Maria March 26, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I have recently started reading your blog and have a 15month old daughter so you hit a wonderful nerve with this post . You are an inspiration and should be so incredibly proud for what you do! and you’re hilarious to boot! Keep up the good work and enjoy the place where dreams come true!

Lisa Newlin March 27, 2013 at 12:33 am

You rock and are an inspiration to all of us out there who aren’t a size 2 but are still fabulous. Thanks for not being afraid to bare yourself. (No pun intended)

Now, let’s eat brownies to celebrate!

Lovelyn March 27, 2013 at 12:34 am

Wow, Good Morning America! That’s great. I can’t wait to see the interview.

Mommy x2 March 27, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I just read about your “bikini” post on Huffington Post…I have to say reading it gave me a new outlook on my “new” body. Especially after reading this current post, with the photo of your daughter watching you. I just recently (2 months ago) had a baby girl and already have a 2 year old daughter. I gained about 30lbs w/each pregnancy. I lost all but about 10lbs from my first and now I’m about 20 lbs from a weight I feel “comfortable” at. I’ve been really down on myself and my body, embarrassed of it & of myself. My husband is totally cool w/my body & never has said a negative word…it’s all me. He’s always complimenting me & telling me I’m beautiful just the way I am, to which I’ve been getting mad @ him for saying it, because “I know I don’t look beautiful” :o( What I already knew, but you made more clear, is that the kids are always watching us, what we do & say, how we treat others & especially how we treat ourselves. This is a roadmap, if you will, of how they will treat themselves & others in the future also. I realize that the weight I have gained will eventually come off (if I stick to a workout/eating plan…which is SO HARD, because I LOVE food! LOL!!), but what I realize more now after reading your blog, is it is important to LOVE ourselves always…if not for us, but for our family, especially us moms with little girls! They are always watching us…and I want my girls to feel good in whatever body they have…in whatever clothes (or bikini’s!) they choose to wear! Self confidence is one of the most important things we can teach them…and it starts w/loving ourselves. Thank you for being so open, honest & BRAVE! You ROCK!!! Hope you have a fantastic vacation & strut your stuff in those bikini’s you HOT MOMA!

Ashley March 27, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Just found your blog via Pinterest. You are truly an inspiration and an all around kick ass woman!

Louisa March 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I don’t have kids. I hope to have mixed racial children one day (can you say glutton for punishment?) but I am sooooo proud of you. And proud of me. And proud of us. Kiss our asses TV audiences. We rock!

Shelly March 28, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hi Brittany, I just found your blog thanks to the Huff Post featuring your bikini blog post. Anyway, I’ve spent way too much time on your blog this morning, because, duh, I work from home and will make-up this time when I’m working all weekend. All that is because I’ve never felt so at home while visiting a blog before! I adore Maggie and all of her famous internet friends but they have an intimidation factor. Your bikini post spoke to me so much. I started wearing a bikini when I turned 40 because I said, wtf, if not now, when? I do rock a little skirt (from Land’s End) but it’s still totally cute. And to this day, my husband does not know how much I weigh. Mostly because I’m only about 10 lbs. lighter than him, and the same weight as my dad growing up: 185.

Your courage to post those photos, then to start a life list-even though you didn’t really want to for all the same reasons I don’t really want to-totally inspire me!! Thank you, thank you. You’ve gained a follower and hopefully one day a friend!

Steph March 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm

“It was staring right at me.” DAMN that is powerful. You pretty much rock – just sayin’

Kelly March 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Way to fucking go you!!!

As always, I want to be you when I grow up.

Jess April 1, 2013 at 9:09 am

You’re pretty fucking awesome – you know that, right? I hope you write a write up about your Disney experience. I’m a huge Disney fan who happened to be at Disney while you were but never ran into you (I told you on Instagram that I couldn’t make the meet up in Kissimee) but I’d love to read your take on the parks!

jen April 1, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Tears. That is the best reason ever.

Fragrant Liar May 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Can’t wait to see this!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }