It Happened: Eyelash Extensions

by Brittany on February 28, 2013

in Fashion

About a month ago, I turned to Facebook to talk eyelashes.

Mainly, mine are crap, how can I make them be less crap?

My lashes are very short, some are curly, some are straight, and then some just bend in, like, 90 degree angles. I have no idea what Danny DeVito’s pubic hair looks like, but if I had to guess, I would assume it looks like my eyelashes.

You guys had tons of suggestions; from prescription solutions to eyelash extensions to natural remedies to sure fire over the counter Amazon finds.

The day after I posted my query to Facebook, in an act of magic unseen by even Hogwarts, the daily Groupon was for… wait for it… eyelash extensions. $39 for a full set, and while I wasn’t sure I was going to go that route, I figured for $39, I might as well buy it to have in my back pocket just in case.

Prescription: After some thought, I ruled out the prescription medication, LATISSE, primarily because of the threat of turning your eyes and eyelids a darker color. I fully understand it doesn’t happen to everyone, and I’ve seen many of you with TO DIE FOR JEALOUSY results, but I adore my hazel brown/green/yellow vampire eyes, and I didn’t want to chance it.

Over The Counter: So, to start things off, I decided to try my hand at RapidLash Eyelash Enhancing Serum, in the hopes that it would thicken things out and length them a bit. I bought the 0.1 fluid oz to experiment with for a month, and hi ummmm… I didn’t take before or after photos, but I can tell you that it was super easy to put on, and while I didn’t see any change in length, my lashes did get slightly fuller. Not a ton, but enough to kinda notice when I was applying mascara. Maybe with continued long term use, I would have seen more thickness, but I’m impatient.

False Eyelashes: For somebody with teeny tiny eyelashes, falsies are a great option. You know, once you are done burning down villages and eating the flesh off peasant children because OH MY GOD REALLY. Difficult level? Infinity. With time, it got easier, and I loved having the length, but in order to even get them on, I knew I had to set aside at least 30 sober minutes, 1.5 Xanax, and the ability to laugh it off when shit got stuck diagonally across my eyelid. Katy Perry has a line of fakies out, and I was a big fan of her Oh, Honey! lashes. But, I wanted a more permanent solution.

Out comes the Wildcard, eyelash extensions.

I called and made the appointment, and then spent the next three days freaking out that I paid $39 to get fake hair glued to my eyes, and the whole thing was beginning to sound less this is the best deal ever, and more holy shit this is like those people who get janky botox in the back of vans behind 7-11s.

And yet, at 3pm today, I showed up at Sandal’s Nail Spa to meet with Celia, my eyelash guru.

She led me back to a private room where I laid down on an esthetician table, she took some lash measurements, we chatted about the look I was going for (natural with increased length and fullness), and then we got down to business. And by business I mean, I laid there with my eyes closed listening to music for an hour while Celia applied my new eyelashes, one by one, gluing them to my existing lashes.

It was the most relaxing 60 minutes of my life, and it totally reminded me of why I used to go to the tanning bed. Twenty uninterrupted minutes in a cozy warm coffin and I was out cold. This was just like that, only less skin cancer and goggles lines.

The results? If the glue was dry, I would have cried, so instead I just hugged her until it got awkward.

Crappy iPhone Before Pic

eyelash extensions before

After… no make-up, only lip gloss

post eyelash extensions
This photo was taken by Celia immediately after she finished applying them. Excuse my pores.

DSC02043

DSC02046

DSC02048

DSC02063

Fucking addicted. The difference is huge, and thanks to the length and dark color, I won’t even have to wear mascara anymore, which is good news, because I am over that whole black crap smudged below my eyes thing.

Tips? Try to keep them dry for about 24 hours after application, stay away from mascara and make-up remover with oil, be gentle when washing your face, and use warm water with mild soap to clean your eyes.

Because I’m not exactly in a huge metropolitan area, eyelash extensions are relatively affordable to keep up with; a full set costing $80 and lasting 4-6 weeks, with maintenance fills only $20, so yeah, this shit is going to be happening for a while, and if Andy gets spazzy about it, I’ll just hypnotize him with my long pretty eyelashes.

UPDATED TO ADD: I woke up to pee at 3am last night and randomly thought, did I really just write an entire post about eyelash extensions? WHO AM I!? And then, as I shuffled back to bed with Gigi in the non-pink eye containment room, avoiding all the legos everywhere because I’m a night ninja, I laid there thinking about how funny it is that I am even in any position to write a post like this. Meaning, that I even care what the fuck my eyelashes look like, that I’ve even gotten to the point where I like myself enough to invest in something as frivolously beauty-centric, when a few years ago, I couldn’t even tell you if I had eyelashes because I was so consumed with hiding every single inch of myself. Anyways, awesome, great session, ya’ll, I’ll send along my co-pay.

Call Me Jo February 28, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Oooh! Gorgeous! I am intrigued, and not just by your come-hither looks.

Joanna February 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Ow!! owww!!! you look great! Glad you love them… now if only it wasn’t over $300 to do this in DC. There is a livingsocial deal for $115 for 45 lashes per eye… pfffffffft.

Erin @ Miss Lifesaver February 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm

One of my coworkers recently got a set, and I was eyeing them for weeks (no pun intended). Hers were a bit more dramatic than I find appropriate for daily use, but yours look lovely! I may cave in and try it for my birthday!

Nicole Meacham February 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm

My eyelashes are crazy long (I may have spent most of high school trimming them so they didn’t rub on my sunglasses). My hubby jokes that I should sell them to salons for others to use for eye lash extensions. But I do wish mine were thicker, maybe I’ll try the serum.

Brittany February 28, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I actually really liked the serum. It didn’t smell and it went on crazy easy. I just didn’t get any length from it.

Kate February 28, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I use the serum… I actually didn’t see much of a difference until about 6 or 8 weeks and then one day I was like ‘WOW I have long lashes’. It does take a long time, but for me it worked great. Lash ext are too expensive in this area.

PS You look great!

Brittany February 28, 2013 at 9:11 pm

This is good to know! I may try it again if I decide to stop doing this!

Lex February 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm

color me crazy, but it just looks like you put on some good mascara

Brittany February 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, I’ve tried that. I don’t really wear much make-up, I don’t even own foundation, so I would really just try and do mascara and eyeliner with lip stuff. I think that is why I wanted length and nice lashes.

Amanda February 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Beautiful!!! I’d be willing to try it…if only I didn’t have freakishly translucent eyelashes. I HAVE to wear mascara and “put my eyebrows on” everyday or I have no facial features. Never waxed or plucked my eyebrows because of them being basically invisible.

It’s sorta kinda awesome.

Kate February 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I have the same problem so I get my eyebrows and lashes dyed every 6-8 weeks.

Pam March 21, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Yes yes yes! I second brow and lash tinting. You will wake up with eyelashes and not have to paint them on. I do mine every 3-4 weeks.

Rachel February 28, 2013 at 9:24 pm

They look awesome!

My unofficial New Year’s resolution was to look like crap a little less. I don’t know if I’ll take it as far as eyelash extensions, but I did go buy new makeup that someone else picked out for me (Thanks Sephora!) and I’m brushing my hair daily, so that’s a start. 2 kids under 3 is tough – it’s too exhausting to leave the house. I’ve even started watching beauty videos on YouTube.

Lorri February 28, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I did this.. Mine did NOT last4-6 weeks.. they lasted 3 weeks.. I hope you have better luck!

LouisianaMeredith February 28, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Feel the same way about Latisse.

You’re new lashes look fabulous.

Now, I need to find a local, reputable place here/nearby that does these….WANT!

Just bat those lashes at Andy & you’re golden!

Susan February 28, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Dude! Amazing!

Jen J March 1, 2013 at 9:00 am

OMG! Theres are gorgeous! I just might have to get me some of them!

Jen J March 1, 2013 at 9:00 am

OMG! Those are f’n gorgeous! I just might have to get me some of them!

Audra March 1, 2013 at 9:04 am

I love the update!! You should love every inch of you! Seriously if I had your boobs I would walk around topless!

Cindy March 1, 2013 at 9:10 am

You’ve come a long way, Baby! I LOVE the extensions. You look awesome.

Jen D. March 1, 2013 at 9:27 am

Wow, amazing difference! I’ve never even heard of eyelash extensions. I have a friend that would rejoice over this news, but I have a feeling it would be way more expensive here in the D.C. area. Very pretty, though! :-/

Jenna M March 1, 2013 at 9:56 am

They look lovely! On the topic of eyelash stuff, Hydropeptide makes an awesome lash extender-thickener serum. I used to work in a salon and got a sample so I could pimp their products better, and that stuff totally worked. I have pretty awesome blue eyes and it didn’t dye me at all. Granted, it’s pretty spendy, but it’ll last you a good long while. in case you get bored of extensions? I don’t know why you would, they look pretty great.

Becky (Princess Mikkimoto) March 1, 2013 at 9:57 am

Dammit lady! I have been avoiding eyelash extensions like a big blueberry muffin staring at me from my desk… but now? DAMMIT! I have an eye lash issue… and now it’s worse.

They look amaze-balls!

DeltaJuliet March 1, 2013 at 10:34 am

I have to say I’m glad you stopped trying to hide because I read your stuff everyday and 1. you make me laugh every.time. and 2. you are helping me to try and like myself a little more too. Long story short, I am not the “young, skinny, hottie” that I used to be and it’s really taken a toll on my self-confidence. But I’m working on it :)

On a cheerier note, extensions are intruiging! I hate the mascara smudge too (the underneath of my eyes is already dark enough, than youverymuch) and I don’t trust the Latisse to NOT ruin my baby blues. I might have to look into this…..

Megan March 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

My friend does this and she loves it. You look great. There is nothing wrong with doing something that makes you feel good – it’s amazing that such a small thing could make a huge difference in how you feel!

jaclyn @ www.lilmsadventures.blogspot.com March 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

Oh wow your eyelashes look gorgeous!! Always wondered about eye lash extensions! Does anyone out there know about eyelash perming ? I always wondered the difference

Thanks

Lovelyn March 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

The idea of eyelash extensions always kind of scared me, but your extension look great. I’m surprised to hear that getting them put on was actually relaxing. Anything involving eyes seems very un-relaxing to me.

Jenee March 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

Ladies, try Vaseline. I know it sounds weird, but if you slather some on your lashes after removing your makeup at night, it really helps with fullness and wonky growth patterns. I didn’t notice much of a change on length, though. It took me about 2-3 weeks, approx 3X per week, to see results.

I adore your new lashes :) Long, full, dark lashes are are dream of mine.

Amy March 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

I didn’t know anyone outside of my family HAD hazel/brown/green/yellow (I prefer “golden”) vampire eyes! All the women in my family do (all the men have blue), so we must be distantly related, right? Can I call you “sis”? Or “cuz”? TIA!

Jessica March 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm

So funny, today’s groupon for me is rapid eyelash enhancer. go figure!

Maria March 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm

You look great! Eyelash extensions make the world spin way more smoothly and less tilted, I swear by them! The only drawback is they CAN affect your growth rate if you dont take a break from time to time.. I currently am missing at section of eyelashes (and have been for about three months now) due to fakies impeding the growth. Apparently my eyelashes are super sensitive and picky about having glue on them, but man they do make you look great even after just waking up off the floor following margarita night. Come June I’m hopping back on the wagon – rock those lashes, lady!

dawn_ewords March 2, 2013 at 11:05 am

I want. period. end of story. Where was this place? Close to you, far from me?! lol

Shana March 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

My sister in law has them and I really want a set! So jealous!

just a Girl March 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’ve been reading for a while now. I don’t remember if I’ve ever commented before or not. But I love you. You just seem weird, unabashedly so. You own it, and love it about yourself. And I love that, it’s what I do for me. And then; this?
Girl, who are you to tell me that I don’t love myself because I opt out of the beauty bullshit? I’m not looking for a fight, and I still love you. It’s just sad to hear so many of my lovely, talented, and strong sisters I hear claim that changing one’s physical attributes is equivalent to loving one’s self. It’s ironic that the same women that say “I love myself, thighs and all!” often also proclaim “[My eyelashes] are crap, how can I make them be less crap?”
What is the difference between a person’s waist and their eyelashes, or their lip shape and their bra size, or their rib cage and their underarms and on and on and on? Why are women supposed to continue to hate something about themselves, all while trying to believe they don’t?
And yeah, I get it. But everyday I fight the urge to starve and to put on foundation because I don’t need to please anyone else, and I please myself with my actions and my thoughts.

Brittany March 4, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I can only tell my story and my journey. I can’t tell you or anyone else what loving yourself feels or looks like.

For me, embracing these things (beauty, fashion, make-up) feels empowering because they were always, ALWAYS, things that felt off limits to me. It makes me feel powerful and confident to, well, participate at all in genre that I previously felt excluded from. I stopped feeling excluded, and started exploring and owning it. For me (and I can only, ONLY, talk about me), it was exciting and fun.

Because I love feeling girly and pin-up like, doesn’t make me less full or profound, it’s just a new part of me that I’ve only begun to explore and have fun with. And after so many years of NOT having fun, it feels good.

I really love this comment, and I hope that I’ve been clear… I’m not the best at explaining things:)

just a Girl March 4, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thank you for your reply. I think you were clear in your comment. It’s funny to me that us two different women have reached a similar acceptance and love for ourselves in opposite ways. As in, I used to try to cover, and now I am comfortable just as I am. And for you, your newly found self-acceptance and self-love mean that you are now free to play with your appearance, to decorate instead of to cover.

I really do love your blog, and I didn’t intend to say that since you enjoy makeup and the girly stuff you can’t be profound and full. On the contrary, many times I have read your posts and laughed and cried because I totally understand.

I could probably ramble on all night, it’s a gift I have, and none of us have time for all that. Thank you for your blog, for sharing, and for loving yourself, and for encouraging every other woman to love herself.

Mary March 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm

First off I think the update at the end makes this whole post worth the read. Seeing (reading) of other women who are taking their life back and loving every inch of themselves no matter what those inches look like is incredibly empowering. So a big YOU GO GIRL is in order.
Second, thank god you tried it first. I have the same thought every time those deals pop up on groupon since I also suffer from lashes that are shorter than my arm hair I’ve wanted to try it out!

Natalie March 4, 2013 at 11:47 pm

They look Fab!

I totally get the update too. I have two kids and for years avoided going to the salon because it would make me feel guilty if I spent money on my appearance. I was in the mom club and just accepted that I would live in jeans and a t shirt day after day. Just a few months ago after coming out of some wacked post partum depression, I looked at my husband and said “I’m going to start going to a nice salon to get my hair cut and colored. And I’m going to get a facial a few times a year also.” I have to say, it’s been wonderful to sit in a chair and treat myself to a little relaxing ‘me time’ every couple of months. It’s not so much about my looks (still in jeans and tshirts) as it is just a way to take care if myself and feel pretty. As a woman, it’s so important to do what makes you feel pretty. If its lashes, or even something as simple as a pretty lip gloss…glad to see you being good to yourself! We all deserve it.

meleah rebeccah March 7, 2013 at 11:56 am

Eyelash extensions = greatest invention EVER.

Stacia March 11, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I’m not going to lie… I actually said wow, out loud. VAVAVOOOM!!

ana March 25, 2013 at 7:54 am

I am glad you love your lashes. I was ecstatic every time I came home from a refill. Looked gorgeous. But I have to tell you now after 3 years when I grew tired of them and decided to quit extensions my lashes are destroyed. Completely. Short, broken, there are fewer of them, I really really look like someone on chemo or like a man. I am currently using Lumigan (Latisse) to repair them but it will take awhile for them to grow back to normal. Even though in salon they tell you your lashes will be fine when you decide to quit extensions, it’s not true. They will be horrible, horrible, horrible. And I had such beautiful long lashes before… :( Just don’t wear them too long…

Amanda March 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thank you, ana, for your comment. Yes, I also used to dream of long, Adele lashes and eyes that commanded attention. Now I work as an optometric assistant on the weekends and the number of infections/eye lash issues I see from extensions/tinting/perming makes me perfectly happy with my short, barely there lashes that I normally apply clean mascara to every day. Until one day I met a girl who rocked super light blonde eyelashes, awesome eyeshadow, blush and lipstick and I couldn’t take my eyes off her. So now experimenting!

Comments on this entry are closed.