Meeting Wyatt

by Brittany on February 15, 2013

in Love, Parenting

Every morning on the way to school we listen to music and sing.

When they get out I turn on NPR or POTUS to nerd out, but until then, it’s a super long drive and yes, singing and merriment is had.

The kids have a Spotify playlist, and it used to consist of mostly Disney music and cartoon movie soundtracks, but has slowly, and thankfully, been going a bit more mainstream thanks to Gigi’s current obsession with Glee, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.

Jude and Gigi sing their hearts out, but Wyatt man, he’s stoic. He doesn’t sing, he barely even smiles. He assures me he’s okay and everything’s cool, but my inability to crack him is maddening.

When your kids are small, it’s easy to lump them together. You love them all. They are all cute. They all like cartoons and popcorn and Disney World.

But, as they grow into small human people, it becomes more and more apparent that they are not only entirely different from one another, but parenting becomes this balance of separate personal relationships within a family.

A day with Gigi means a day of changing our clothes 400 times, practicing dramatic monologues and choreography, shopping, watching The Princess Bride, hand holding and eating someplace fancy enough to have cloth napkins to place on our lap.

Jude time usually consists of video games, building drones with his dad, Star Wars movie marathons, talking about cute girls in his class, and sometimes, maybe, letting me hold his hand in Best Buy.

My days with Wyatt were always unclear. He went absolutely anywhere I suggested, and gladly held my hand and chatted with me when prompted, but there were no stand out pure Wyatt moments.

Even last Christmas, as Andy and I made our Christmas shopping lists, it became clear we weren’t entirely sure we knew who Wyatt was becoming.

Does he want Star Wars guys?

No, that’s more Jude’s thing.

Does he like Batman?

I’m not sure if he does, or he just plays with it because that’s what we bought him, ya know?

Jesus Christ.

I know.

Looking for a sure fire kick to the parenting nutsack? Realize you don’t know your kid. Here, I’ll give you the number to my therapist and favorite liquor store.

A few weeks ago as we were driving to school, I handed Wyatt my phone and asked him to pick out a song. Any song he wanted.

He plugged in his headphones and started scrolling and scrolling, for like, five minutes. Finally, he pulls out his cord and hands me my phone to plug back in the car, and we listened, full blast, to Wyatt’s song… Sabotage by The Beastie Boys.

He played the air drums for three minutes, and when it was over, I hit repeat. And I also cried, but whatever.

Mental note, Wyatt likes the Beastie Boys.

Figuring out Wyatt secrets became my new personal mission. When he came home that day, we sat down with the iPad and watched tons of music videos on Youtube, read about bands on Wikipedia, and put together the beginning of a Wyatt playlist, because you see, Wyatt loves music, not singing it, playing it. Specifically, he wants to play the drums, guitar and also take turn-table lessons.

Mental note, Wyatt is a bad ass.

We have family movie night once a week. It sounds legit, but really, it’s just an excuse for everyone to force me to make popcorn from scratch while we sit around in our underwear on the couch. Thankfully, we’ve all finally reached the ceiling of our Fellowship of the Ring tolerance level, so Jude has been suspended from movie picking, passing the reigns to Wyatt. We keep all our DVD’s in giant leather CD cases (saves space), and he sat on the floor and flipped through book after book until deciding on his movie… Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Babe, this is the third movie, don’t you want to start with the first one?

No, Sirius Black is my favorite guy.

wyatt potter glasses

Mental note, Wyatt is dope.

A few days ago, I was out running errands with Wyatt in tow. It’s funny, when I had my first kid, I was scared to death to go anywhere, and swore I’d never leave the house again because getting anything done with a kid was impossible. Now that I have three, I feel like I could climb Everest if it meant I could leave the house with only one of them.

We popped into Five Below, aka, my new favorite place to accidentally spend $100, to pick up some Valentine’s Day stuff, when Wyatt came across a pair of mustache print suspenders in the clearance bin. He already has a bit of a bow tie collection going ( I know dude, this kid, he kills me), so after explaining how they worked, he decided that he needed them, and for $1, ok yeah fine.

Wyatt suspenders Collage

He hasn’t taken them off since.

Mental note, I want to be Wyatt when I grow up.

Wyatt loves to play Euchre (thank God, because sorry Andy, but you blow), he likes eating sushi with me and sitting at the bar so he can talk to the chef, he’s an amazing artist, he thinks George Clooney was a sucky Batman, he prefers to do his own hair, he likes Legos and talking about how dinosaurs died, and that is just the tip of the iceberg of the person he is becoming.

meeting wyatt

I finally figured out who Wyatt is. He’s the coolest fucking guy I know.

Shannon February 15, 2013 at 10:21 am

Damnit you made me cry.

Chrystal February 15, 2013 at 10:24 am

Such a perfect post.

Joann February 15, 2013 at 10:24 am

Seriously, Wyatt is rad! I hope my son will be into cool stuff too!

Chronic February 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

He is awesome, full of win and, as stated, a total badass!!!

April February 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

Wyatt. You, my friend, are awesome. You had me at the mustache suspenders.

Sherry Carr-Smith February 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

It was so nice to meet Wyatt. I’d hang out with him any day.

Rhonda Doyle February 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

I heart Wyatt!

Dawn_ewords February 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

Love. This. Kid. I really love this post too. I have three also. The first 2 are only 3 yrs apart, but baby is 9 yrs junior to her sister. 6 to big bro. I am so glad the baby was a girl. It gave them each an identity. The oldest. The boy. The baby. I feel like my boy gets lost in the shuffle every once in a while. Sometimes its my life’s mission just help him find his way. Soooo, I love this post. I get it. <3

Staci February 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

He’s so freaking cute!!

laura February 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Fucking beautiful.

Tawny February 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

He kind of reminds me of a way cuter Duckie from Pretty in Pink. That last pose slays me.
It is an honor to see how unique your children are growing up to be.

Elaine February 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

best post ever. :) Wyatt is a serious cool kid and you know what that means…you did something right! Woot! I live for those moments that remind me that I don’t suck. Congrats!

Jen Smith February 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

I’m in love with your kid! In a few years, I have a girl he should meet, she’s pretty awesome too, but I’m in no rush for boyfriends. But, if I had to pick, yours would be the one! You had me at Sabotage and bow ties.

Amy February 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

Totally made me cry!! This is awesome! He’s going to love reading this one day!!

Tiffany February 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thank you for sharing Wyatt with me. :) You made me cry before I even got my ass out of bed. You are an amazing mom with amazing kids!

Carla February 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

My daughter Rowan is sitting next to me as I read this and when she spotted Wyatt’s picture she giggled and said “He’s cute, Mom, what’s his name?”

She’s 4.5. She needs to stop it. Right now.

But if I could choose the kind of person she would eventually fall in love with, it’d be a person just like Wyatt Gibbons.

Why are pre-arranged marriages frowned upon nowadays? I think they sound like the perfect solution to girls coming home with scary boyfriends that make me want to buy guns and alcohol in equal quantities.

Desera February 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

Love Wyatt! I went back and looked at the photos with the bow tie too….he’s too cool!

Angela February 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

This was amazing. My daughter is only 13 months and still ALL OVER THE PLACE so I can’t wait until I can start figuring out ‘who she is.’ It’s my life’s mission. Thank you.

Rachel B. February 15, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oh wow. I love Wyatt. He is too cute and way too cool. And the fact that he loves Sirius Black AND the Beastie Boys!?!! Wow!!!!

jaclyn @ www.lilmsadventures.blogspot.com February 15, 2013 at 10:55 am

OMG what a great post :) Wyatt is an amazing little boy! So much fun to learn all the things that are going on in their heads!! xoxo

improperly forward February 15, 2013 at 10:59 am

While Wyatt is most definitely badass, I’d say you are definitely in the running for most badass Mom ever. It doesn’t come naturally in the midst of chaotic life to sit down and get to know the shit out of your kids and truly appreciate the individual they are becoming. Is there nothing you don’t kick ass at?

jack February 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

How old is he? Our oldest is almost 2.5 and is JUST starting to show an interest in things beyond the world of Disney.

Brittany February 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

He’ll be 6 in April.

Kimberly February 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

What a beautiful tribute to your awesome boy!

Ashley February 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

This. I LOVE this. How cool is he?!? I really loved reading this post. I like seeing the “real” side to blogger’s lives. It makes us all seem like we’re in the same boat. And Wyatt IS pretty effin’ cool. Beastie Boys?? pffft.

Adria February 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love this so much.

Meredith February 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

Damn it. Now I am sitting here, at my desk, pretending to work, and crying.

Tawny February 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I love that you pretend to work too. Gotta have breaks sometimes right?

Jo February 15, 2013 at 11:36 am

Get that cool kid some musical instruments, NOW !!!! Music rocks…

Tina February 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love this! I cried! Was I supposed to cry? You’re such an awesome mom, if Nick accidentally sperminates me, I want to be you when I grow up.

Amanda February 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

Wyatt is officially the coolest fucking kid ever.

MollySC February 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

I want to be Wyatt when I grow up. 25 is still not grown up, right?

Becky C February 15, 2013 at 11:57 am

Wyatt, it was so nice to met you! ;) You sound alot like my son! Too bad he’s 13 and we live 16hrs away! :(

Brittany, my son is not one for singing either, but he LOVES drums! He has a set in our basement that he never lays, because he doesn’t really know how! :( His favorite drum solo is…Thnks Fr Th Mmrs by Fallout Boys. Also…Pink…You and UR Hand and Metallica…Enter Sandman. Not great lyrics for a kid, but what good drum solo song has those!?

JoyLynn February 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Still waters run deep. Those are the best kind of people! They aren’t in your face and demanding but when you give them a safe place and some time they will open their world to you. It’s so precious. And I always said, from the time they were toddlers, that I loved, loved, loved my babies but I couldn’t wait to meet my people.

Claudia February 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm

What a cool little kid. Makes me want a son!

kim February 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

What a rad kid! I have 2 boys (ages 5 & 3)… they are so similar yet SO different. It’s such an adventure discovering these little personalities. Thanks for sharing!!!

Melissa February 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm

He looks so much like Andy in the last picture!

Sonja February 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I love this tribute to your Wyatt!

Ash February 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Oh my god, I just ovulated. Like, ten times.

Nikki J. February 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Amazing post, just amazing. This coming from a childless 30 something just discovering they may not actually dislike children that much as they thought they did (believe me, it’s quite the process of change). I’m overwhelmed with the respect you have to allow your child to become an individual. Too many parents are so focused on making their children reflect something they are not for their image’s sake. It saddens me as a higher educator to see the pressures some kids feel to be someone they are not. Thank you for getting to know your son on his level. You are right, he’s a total bad ass but really his name is Wyatt…with a name like that he was destine.

marcia February 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

you my love, are an awesome mother.

Laura February 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm

That was beautiful. And I need that number to that therapist.

Taterz February 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

This was the best post. 1) You are an awesome mom. 2) Your kids (all three) are amazing. 3) I hope, hope, hope that I can have this with my kids, too. It sounds like Wyatt is going to be famous. Amazing famous, not scary-gross-drug addict-freak famous.

Angie Tobias February 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Gah! Loves it.

My kid is 6 too. And he is unlike anyone I have ever met. He likes all his dad’s rock and alternative music, air guitar and break dancing, big head phones, skinny jeans, chucks, all black everything, beanies, Starbucks, scarves, and Home Alone. Oh, and The Hobbit.

If you are ever in Ann Arbor and want to let our kids nerd out like 19 hear old hipsters, we’re down.

Anna February 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Wyatt sounds like an awesome kid. I want to be him when I grow up too.

Nikki Mohamed February 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I’m thinking that Wyatt and my youngest, Aiman, are kindred spirits. Aiman is my 12 yr old and his favorite musician right now is Bob Schneider. None of that candy-ass Bieber for him…unless he’s making fun of him for walking into glass doors.

Wyatt IS a bad-ass. But that’s no surprise. Look at his momma!

AngelLeigh February 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Made me cry too, now my Dad’s looking at me funny. I would save this one for him–he’ll appreciate this one day.

Nikki February 15, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I loved this post. So so sooo much. Wyatt is a really awesome kid :)

Denise2Teach February 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I’m so glad for Wyatt and you that you took the time to find out who he is because he’s amazing. I was so busy trying to figure out who I was that by the time I figured out who my oldest son was, I found out he’s my daughter. Talk about missing the big picture.

Alisa February 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

this was beautiful. i cried. and realized that i absolutely cannot wait to have kids someday.

love this so much.

LouisianaMeredith February 15, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I <3 Wyatt soooo much!

Also, again, I'm an emotional mess–Y'all rock as individuals AND as parents.

Printing this one for my friends with multiple children….it's *that* good and THAT important.

Delia Fairchild February 15, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Wyatt sounds like an amazing little guy. I was reading your post and thinking of my 6 year old daughter. Half the time I don’t understand who she is. She always says how she wants this and that toy. But it is just because she sees them on TV. When it comes down to it, she loves Katy Perry, loves being a diva, loves her Razor scooter, and loves making forts. Before our baby boy was born, her and I would pal around everywhere. Just 2 hot girls on the run. I got the chance to have a mommy date with her the other day. We went to lunch, got our nails done, went to the library. It is amazing how wonderful just a small amount of quality time with your child, gives you such an insight in who they are. When you give them undivided attention, they just open up and show you their true colors. It is hard to carve out that time when you have a baby, work, etc.

Hoping my baby boy ends up as cools as your little Wyatt. He sounds bad ass!

Comments on this entry are closed.