A Red Lipstick Valentine’s Day

I don’t own lipstick, weird right? I own tons of cheapo balms and glosses, but no actual lipstick. The last time I wore it was in a shade of matte brown with a grungy flannel shirt and Dr. Martens, so like, not since Lilith Fair happened.

That being said, I have a total girl crush on red lipstick. It’s crazy hard to wear, and there’s a fine line between quirky sexy and quirky hookery that’s super dependent on shade and hue and undertones. All things I know exactly zero about.

But, red hair, pale skin, red lipstick; I really wanted to make this happen.

I had planned to go to Rite Aid and buy tons of reds to try, but my friend Meredith keeps trying to strong arm me into buying adult make-up from real make-up counters, so I thought maybe this would be an opportune time to do that.

Go to a cosmetic counter, talk to a real person, ask them what colors match my face. Easy peasy.

Oh, but here’s the thing, buying make-up at a make-up counter is a lot like buying a timeshare. You think you’re going to walk in, listen to the spiel and walk away with your free Disney tickets, but no. Something happens along the way, either out of desperation or exhaustion, and next thing you know, you own a property in Orlando and $400 worth of make-up in a bag the size of a condom.

I walked into Dillard’s with no plan. I just figured whoever talked to me first would win. Today’s winner? Luzelena from Dior.

It was 10 o’clock in the morning, the counters were deserted and I had nothing but time, so Luzelena and I played with make-up. She taught me about my skin, about colors, and best of all, she didn’t try conning me into a townhouse 40 miles from the beach. Instead, she told me how to make things work with the not-quite-Dior make-up I already owned at home. Does Dior go with Bonnie Bell? Um, does champagne go with pizza rolls? Yes, the answer is yes.

(psst, hey Dior, I may not have walked out with $600 worth of product, but you just got yourself a customer for life.)

Dior Collage

I left the counter with the most perfect shade of red lipstick, feeling that much closer to nailing down my personal style, something I have been trying to figure out since standing in wardrobe the other day when a stylist walked in and asked me just what the hell mine was.

A few years ago, I would have laughed at her and then pointed in the general direction of that mountain of faded black yoga pants, but I don’t entirely think that defines me anymore, and I’ve been trying really hard to piece together what exactly my style consists of.

When I look at the closet that has drastically changed over the course of the last 24 months or so, with new fun pieces slowly replacing the too-small crap from high school I had an emotional death-grip on, it’s becoming clear to me… I’m pretty fucking girly. Which is hysterical because showing off any line of my body used to be my biggest fear ever, because well, there are a lot of them and almost none of them are straight, but now, those lines feel the most like me.

I love dresses and skinny jeans and heels and headbands and jewelry (and taint jokes, they add character). And now, thanks to Luzelena, I also love red lipstick, which is, conveniently, Valentine’s Day personified.

I know a lot of people don’t celebrate, and yes, it’s totally a Hallmark holiday. But, dude, it’s about love and getting some, there are worse things we could be celebrating, no?

For the longest time, Andy was on second shift, making a romantic night out near impossible. We had, like, Valentine’s Day brunches with three kids and heart shaped pancakes and crap. We were together, which was lovely, but I was also cutting up everyone’s food and spending the evening alone in my bathrobe.

Once he was moved to first shift, we found ourselves punch-drunk and giddy to celebrate each and every ridiculous holiday we could get our hands on. Including Valentine’s Day.

It didn’t even need to be fancy. A four course dinner or a quickie in the car behind the movie theater, it didn’t matter; it was dark and we were alone. And, this year I’m lucky enough to have both. Maybe, I mean, it depends on how flexible I am.

But we will, for sure, be ringing in the season of love twice; a fancy dinner for two the evening of the 14th, and then an additional night of celebration this weekend with our favorite couples, some good Chinese and a cheesy zombie love movie.

One night of sexy and one of casual; red lipstick and curves, two ways.

LBD2 CollageRomantic Night Out: So, I had a black dress. It was a linen a-line sort of thing I tossed under a grey cardigan to wear to funerals. But, this dress, folks, is no funeral dress. This is a little black dress. A little black dress that hugs my curves and makes me feel just like Christina Hendricks probably feels at absolutely any moment in her awesome life. It’s not clingy or fat grabby, it’s cut to perfection, I feel like a bombshell, and I have very little doubt that my husband will spend the entire evening wondering just how to get me out of it. Red lipstick and a shape hugging black dress, this lady stuff is way funner than I realized.
Long Sleeve Faux Wrap Dress (size 16), Lands’ End $94
Leopard Platform Heels, Target $14.99
Gold Bracelets, Lane Bryant $24.95
Black Clutch, Lane Bryant

Stripe Sweater CollageZombie Movie Love Fest: Navy is my jam this season, and I’ve slowly been hoarding it in whatever form I can get it. Boatneck striped sweater with a super cute shirt-tail vent on the side? Um, yes please. Vintage horse head necklace? Don’t mind if I do. And hey, are those the Rockstar skinny jeans I continuously tell you to buy because they will flatter your curvy body to the nines? Why yes they are, what the hell are you waiting for? The leather clutch, gold necklaces and cherry lips take this from blah car line to adorable date night.
Navy Striped Boatneck Sweater (size XL), Old Navy $29.94
Rockstar Skinny Jeans (size 14), Old Navy $34.50
Brown Leather Boots, Fitzwell $84.50
Leather Clutch, Lands’ End
Gold Link Necklace, Lands’ End $39
Gold Horse Pendant, Old Navy

Red Lipstick Red hair

DSC01990

DSC02012The winner? Rouge Dior Ara Red #999 and Dior Addict Ultra Gloss Glow #854.

DSC02003Even my intern loves it.

What are you rockin’ this Valentine’s Day?

comments

Comments

I love stripes but I’m always afraid of them. Isn’t there some old rule that no one over a size 4 should wear horizontal stripes? But you look so good in those outfits you’ve inspired me to try the stripes again!

• Brittany says

There is an old dated rule about stripes, but personally, I love them. As long as they aren’t distorted from being way to tight on your body, and that goes for ANY size, I say, WEAR THEM.

2. Larissa says

LOVE THAT DRESS!! Can you post a pic of your whole head with the red lipstick, though? I’d love to see how it goes with your haircolor. I have to go to Old Navy and get some of those jeans…
    And I have to figure out my hubby’s birthday gift for tomorrow!! And Valentine’s Day!! Not fair.

You are amazing and inspiring, by the way. Have I mentioned that before??
    Go red!!

3. Johanna says

You look gorgeous in both outfits! And BTW, “Warm Bodies” (which I assume is the movie you are seeing) is actually pretty good. I saw it with my husband, his buddy and his buddy’s 11 year old daughter. We all enjoyed it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the stripes and the dress!
    I was thinking about the lack of lipstick in my bag just last week and bought a cute champagne pink shade at the Chinese bazaar in town. My first dark red was by Yves St. Laurent and I finally had to throw it out it had gotten so old. You ARE my girl-crush. Happy Valentines Day.

5. Amanda says

Ughhhh! Why are you so freaking pretty?!
    Also, I NEED your boots. NEED them.
    (I mean, not your personal boots. Just that exact kind.)

• Brittany says

Thank you! And no, same color as always, but I was in some really AMAZING natural light for the photos, totally helps:)

Jealous! I want to know what my style is, too!! I want pretty lipstick! I can’t wear lipstick. I have pathetic, practically nonexistent lips. It’s sad. Way to be awesome. You look great, as usual!!

7. k says

Hey Britt! Love the fashions and the red lipstick! Can you tell us all about what shampoo/cond/.style prod you use to make your hair so shiny! SO shiny and healthy looking!
    Love when you play fashion show!

• Brittany says

Thanks! I am currently using Bed Head’s Color Goddess Shampoo and Conditioner, Ouidad Climate Control and Bed Head’s Haze Glaze for shine.

8. Miranda says

I love love love that lbd! How tall are you? I always feel like you are super tall & that makes me worry that stuff like that lovely dress would be suuuper long on me.

9. Dale says

I’ve been reading your blog for a long while, and I’m not a big commenter, but I have to tell you that you are just beautiful! And inspirational and all that good stuff too, but you look absolutely stunning. Both inside and out, I mean I’m not that shallow. Or maybe I am because I don’t really know you, just your blog.

Anyway, wanted to tell you that.

10. Nellie says

Love both looks and the red lipstick – sexsational!

OMG, when the helll did your hair get that long?! I feel like the last time you posted a pic of yourself, it was never THAT LONG! Holy Sweet Jesus, but I covet your hair….and your head to toe being and personality to boot!

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours!

11. erica says

Damn B you look hot! Have fun on your date!

P.S. I’ve also somewhat recently realized that I love the red lipstick too. It makes me feel super powerful. The Husband says he can tell what mood I am in when I wear it because I am either feeling sexy or getting ready to donkey kick someone in the teeth. I do love that man.

12. ALLISON says

I need that dress any idea if it comes in petite. b/c i’m short. chubby and short. in a totally adorable kinda way :)

• Brittany says

I’ve seen that, and honestly, dismissed it. I see myself in photos and I know what I am comfortable in, and right now, I adore the Rockstar skinny jeans. That being said, I don’t wear many of their other styles, and secretly love that I can pull the Rockstars up high on my tummy… so maybe I’m a mom jeans convert?

13. Jill says

Would it be creepy to tell you that I’m rocking a navy/cream horizontal striped sweater with skinny jeans and tall brown boots right now? Weird that I’m wearing your go-to look. Total confidence booster! And I’m totally looking into that black dress now too.

14. Kristine says

I wore a navy & cream long sleeved tee, skinny jeans and tall brown boots for a date night this weekend. It’s a winner. I should have rocked my red lipstick too, but it might have been a bit much for Johnny Carino’s on a kidless Sunday afternoon.

15. Jen J says

You are so beautiful! I wish I could see myself the way you see yourself, beautiful the way you are. I have always hated my body and at this point I’d kill for that 17 or 21 year old body that I thought was “fat” How did you do it? I love your looks, especially the skinny jeans with boots but I can’t get past how frumpy I look in them. I’m only like 5′ 3.5″ so my short legs can’t pull it off!

• Brittany says

It sounds cheesy but I just really took the time to learn what shape my body was, find clothes that ft it that made me feel better than the comfort clothing I was wearing (forget size, it’s irrelevant to this), and eventually, my perception changed about how I saw myself.

16. Kelly S. says

Amazing dress! Can I just say you wear it better than the model wearing it on Land’s End’s website? I want this dress now, but if I just saw it on her, I would never consider buying it!

I’ve been obsessed with red lipstick ever since I became addicted to the show Mad Men. But you’re right, it’s tough to wear, and it has to be just the right shade for your complexion so you avoid looking like a hooker or clown.

And you, LOOK FABULOUS!!!

18. Luz Elena says

I had a great time showing you lipstick and talking with you on Monday! You look wonderful! My daughters and I really enjoyed reading your blog and what a surprise to find myself mentioned. So thank you, you made my day, too!

19. Britany says

I am also a size 16…I have one question. How can you wear those skinny jeans without any ass crack or muffin top? You look bomb!!!!!

Trackbacks