Bourbon. It’s the reason for the season.

by Brittany on December 23, 2009

in Recipes

BLOG FINAL

My gift to you this holiday season is a family favorite, the Bourbon Slushie.  No matter how many reindeer turtle necks, or tacky as seen on tv gifts, or family fist fights ensue, this little treat helps me stay in the holiday spirit, and ensures that by morning, everyone forgot what we were all fighting about anyways.

May your holidays be as rose-colored as mine this season!

5.0 from 1 reviews
The Bourbon Slushie
Author:
Recipe type: Cheers
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

A frozen bourbon concoction that's served with a lemon lime soda and some holiday cheer!
Ingredients
  • 1 can frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
  • 1 can frozen Lemonade Concentrate
  • 7 cups strong brewed Black Tea (3-4 bags)
  • Fifth of Bourbon Whiskey
  • 2 liter of Sprite (Can also use 7Up, Ginger Ale, or Sierra Mist)
Instructions
  1. Boil water and steep tea until strong (about 20 minutes)
  2. In a freezer safe, seal-able bowl, mix tea, all the juices (DO NOT ADD WATER), and bourbon whiskey.
  3. Freeze overnight.
  4. Before serving, mash it up a bit to get desired slush-like consistency.
  5. Scoop desired amount of slush into glasses, and top off with Sprite.
Notes
The bourbon can be substituted for rum. The rum slushie is the bourbon slushie's way sluttier cousin.

Jules December 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

Hmm, generally I’m not a fan of tea, but this may be something I need to try!

barefootfoodie December 23, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I also HATE tea, but LOVE this. It is NOTHING like tea. Trust me:)

Petra aka The Wise (Young) Mommy December 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

YUMMIE!!!!! Thank you. I think I might bring this to my mother’s house on Christmas, it will make it a whole lot yummier AND interesting.

Merry Merry to you and yours!!!

Petra aka The Wise (Young) Mommy December 23, 2009 at 10:06 am

LOVE the Xmas card by the way :)

Desera Johnson December 23, 2009 at 10:15 am

Your kids are amazingly beautiful! I SO enjoy reading your blog, you crack me up every time! The slushie sounds great! Have a Great Christmas and Happy New Year :-) Enjoy your kids, it goes by way too fast! My daughter is going to be 13 next month and it’s sad when you don’t get to buy toys anymore!

Tia December 23, 2009 at 10:18 am

Your kids are so freakin cute :)

Heather P. December 23, 2009 at 10:19 am

adorable pic Brit!

Jaime December 23, 2009 at 10:23 am

Merry Christmas! That sounds… delicious…

Libby December 23, 2009 at 10:27 am

I don’t like bourbon, but this could change my mind…

barefootfoodie December 23, 2009 at 12:44 pm

My mom also sometimes makes this with rum, also yummy.

Kristabella December 23, 2009 at 10:32 am

I would never think I would actually like this concoction, but it is SO good! And it gets you nice and drunk!

Happy holidays!

Jude's Mom December 23, 2009 at 10:51 am

mmmmm……Can I drink it for breakfast?

barefootfoodie December 23, 2009 at 12:45 pm

It totally has OJ in it, so…..yes. Yes, you can.

AJ December 23, 2009 at 11:19 am

Crap. I just finished my grocery shopping for Xmas. I thought. Now I need some juice and bourbon!

MFA Mama December 23, 2009 at 11:26 am

OMG is it just me or could you photoshop the turtleneck over the baby’s face and your hair onto her head and she’d be MINI-BRIT!!!

barefootfoodie December 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm

YES! You have made my day. After two boys, I never tire of people telling me a kid actually looks like me.

BugginWord December 23, 2009 at 11:41 am

You may have found a way to make brown liquor palatable. Maybe.

WebSavyMom December 23, 2009 at 12:24 pm

–>My mother-in-law is arriving any minute and not only do we have the EXACT same name (same middle initial even) we share the same love of The Bourbon Slush!

barefootfoodie December 23, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Aren’t they amazing! They definitely make in laws and grouchy relatives bearable….because you are too drunk to care!

AlwaysAwkward December 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I am so trying this! Thanks for the recipe.

Your kids are too cute – love the card!

itsybitsyknitsy December 23, 2009 at 12:40 pm

YUM!!! Thank you!

metalia December 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Oh my god. OH MY GOD. YUM. I cannot wait to make this. I’ve never been more grateful to be done with nursing!

stacey@Havoc&Mayhem December 23, 2009 at 1:09 pm

OMG! The Bourbon Slushie! I grew up with the bourbon slushie on the holidays every year…well, personally I didn’t drink it but I did get to help make them for the adults and then they’d let me have a sip. It was a tradition until I was about 25.
Thanks for the recipe & the memory. Now I have to go make some.

Becky (Ms Batman) December 23, 2009 at 1:43 pm

My ex husband’s family makes this every year and so when I left him, I took the recipe with me. Ha! It also works with rum. Either way, it makes suffering through family Christmas easier.

Bridget December 23, 2009 at 2:32 pm

LOVE that holiday picture!!!!

jen December 23, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Thank you for providing me with the drink I will bring to my neighborhood New Year’s Eve party. Awesome!!

And how cool is it that your baby girl looks like you??!!

Erin B. December 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm

This girl is gettin’ drunk! :)

SoccerMom December 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Sounds tasty and just what I need, my freakin family is already driving me nuts. This is exactly what I needed! Thanks.

Miss Yvonne December 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

We make this with brandy and it’s pretty much like my own personal therapist during the holidays.

P.S. Your kiddos are adorable.

Misty December 23, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I have a very similar recipe made with vodka, perfect for hot summer days!

Keely December 23, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I was just going to leave a comment saying I wasn’t sold on the bourbon, but then I read your comment about making it with rum. Now can you make it not so cold? Because it’s -40 here.

Or, I know! How about you just remind me to make it in July. Because I’ll forget but it sounds amazing.

Jennifer December 23, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Sometimes I hate supporting my husband with the whole not drinking thing.

Jenn December 23, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Would love to comment BUT I am running to the store for the ingredients so I can make my holidays tolerable w/ this awesome drink! Thanks & Merry Christmas!!

Michelle December 23, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Sounds delicious! Great Christmas card.

Daffodil Campbell December 24, 2009 at 2:36 am

I wonder if I could make ice cubes and have the kids run them thru the Snoopy Sno Cone Machine they’re getting for Christmas.
I smell a new holiday tradition. Cinnamon rolls just aren’t doing it for me anymore.
Tell me, do you think 7am is too early for a slushie? Be honest.

rachel-asouthernfairytale December 24, 2009 at 9:12 am

Wow. I think I’m tipsy just reading that.
hmmmmmmm how far is the nearest liquor store I wonder??

MommyNamedApril December 24, 2009 at 12:45 pm

for the love of all that is good and girly. you can tell your bff that i’ve gone from kind of sort of maybe wanting a girl to NEEEEED ONE NOWWWWWW. thx fer that.

Candice December 24, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Adorable picture!!

The libation sounds great. I may have to get the hubs to whip one up for me. I’m not allowed to touch the blender because I burned up our last one. . . Kind of like the 4 vacuum cleaners i’ve killed off in the past year.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Happy Hour Sue December 25, 2009 at 7:43 pm

LOVE that you wrote “sealable bow” like you’d already had a few.

Mini-You could not be any cuter, as are the 2 boys.

merry Xmas- i love this recipe.

jennyonthespot December 26, 2009 at 1:00 am

Oh, for the love of… this has got to be did.

Tiffany December 26, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I totally live within a stone’s throw, so pony up and share the slushie!!!

Kay…that sounded slightly stalker ish. Haven’t had the slush but have had some to drink. Anyhoo, seriously live w/in the same city area and would LOVE to share wonderfully horrible stories about our kids (mine are 2 and 4).

Have a Happy New Year!!!

WorkingMom December 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Filing this one for next year… which begins in five days!

BlackBird December 27, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I completely agree…!!
The more sloppy drunk I get, the more my boob pops out! And my boobs are awesome!
Now that you have a visual…Happy Holidays!

Kittay Skeezah December 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I was gonna make this and then realized I had no whiskey. Gahh!

Mama Kat December 28, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Can you just whip a batch together and send it my way?

cort December 31, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Ok – I totally made this recipe last night to take to a party tonight. (I actually doubled the recipe and poured into two gallon freezer bags)

They DIDN’T freeze up at all! What do I do?!?! I know that the combination of alcohol and sugar will keep the thing from freezing solid (and prevent me from looking like a deer at a salt lick), but DAMN!

What did I do wrong?

For the record, I’m still taking it and mixing with sprite. If any asshole says anything they don’t get any of the 2 pints of whiskey I sacrificed to the cause!

cort December 31, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Update: I’m an ass. My freezer sucks. I moved the goods from the upright fridge-freezer to our chest freezer and all is good in the world of slushies-that’ll-get-you-drunk!
Happy New Year!

mel January 2, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I must make this! Also, I must havr your gorgeous children. If not all, the one in the middle will do.

Kat (@kathym425) January 2, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I love that pic of your kids – so adorable! I have absolutely got to try that slush. I can think of a couple of friends who would love to polish off a batch of that with me :)

Ally January 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Wait, sugar? How much sugar? I have to try this recipe!

Krissa January 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm

OK!… but are you drunk on your recipe or your mom’s? ;-)

Mamasoo January 3, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Oh my. I made this last night for my soccer/camping family Christmas Party. When we all go camping, each family takes turns making a “Drink of the Day” each day. I told everyone I was making a drink from one of my favorite blogs for our party. They loved it so much it’s now my official DOTD for camp. I didn’t make it the day before so it didn’t slush up, so I put it in the blender with ice. Perfecto! I have to figure out how to bring the blender to camp now and hook it up to the car battery!
Thanks to you and your mom for the recipe! The drink definitely overshadowed my lasagna. Maybe it ws a good thing I served the drink before we ate!

Andrea January 4, 2010 at 11:28 am

Oh, yum. Sounds SO perfect. Happy New Year! Cheers!

Amber D. January 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Okay, so this is an awesome post because I got a margarita machine in a Christmas gift exchange, and tequila and I don’t really hang out much because she was a big ol bitch to me in my early twenties, so I was trying to figure out what I could make in it with whiskey or bourbon. I was just gonna do ice, sprite, and whiskey, which prolly wouldn’t have worked, but you, my friend, just gave me the best idea!

3boys1mommy February 12, 2010 at 2:18 am

Shit. This is when I regret ignoring my reader for so long! Next Christmas… or Lincoln’s birthday!

Dawn December 18, 2011 at 9:35 am

Sooo, I’m new to your blog…but I love it! When I found this recipe, just knew we had to make it. We opted for the Slutty Rum Slush cuz that’s how we roll. Delish! We managed to polish off 2 batches last night. One with Orange Rum and one w/Dark Rum…Amazing!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 3 trackbacks }