Bourbon. It’s the reason for the season.

BLOG FINAL

My gift to you this holiday season is a family favorite, the Bourbon Slushie.  No matter how many reindeer turtle necks, or tacky as seen on tv gifts, or family fist fights ensue, this little treat helps me stay in the holiday spirit, and ensures that by morning, everyone forgot what we were all fighting about anyways.

May your holidays be as rose-colored as mine this season!

5.0 from 1 reviews
The Bourbon Slushie
Author:
Recipe type: Cheers
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

A frozen bourbon concoction that's served with a lemon lime soda and some holiday cheer!
Ingredients
  • 1 can frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
  • 1 can frozen Lemonade Concentrate
  • 7 cups strong brewed Black Tea (3-4 bags)
  • Fifth of Bourbon Whiskey
  • 2 liter of Sprite (Can also use 7Up, Ginger Ale, or Sierra Mist)
Instructions
  1. Boil water and steep tea until strong (about 20 minutes)
  2. In a freezer safe, seal-able bowl, mix tea, all the juices (DO NOT ADD WATER), and bourbon whiskey.
  3. Freeze overnight.
  4. Before serving, mash it up a bit to get desired slush-like consistency.
  5. Scoop desired amount of slush into glasses, and top off with Sprite.
Notes
The bourbon can be substituted for rum. The rum slushie is the bourbon slushie's way sluttier cousin.

comments

Comments

1. Desera Johnson says

Your kids are amazingly beautiful! I SO enjoy reading your blog, you crack me up every time! The slushie sounds great! Have a Great Christmas and Happy New Year :-) Enjoy your kids, it goes by way too fast! My daughter is going to be 13 next month and it’s sad when you don’t get to buy toys anymore!

OMG! The Bourbon Slushie! I grew up with the bourbon slushie on the holidays every year…well, personally I didn’t drink it but I did get to help make them for the adults and then they’d let me have a sip. It was a tradition until I was about 25.
    Thanks for the recipe & the memory. Now I have to go make some.

Thank you for providing me with the drink I will bring to my neighborhood New Year’s Eve party. Awesome!!

And how cool is it that your baby girl looks like you??!!

I was just going to leave a comment saying I wasn’t sold on the bourbon, but then I read your comment about making it with rum. Now can you make it not so cold? Because it’s -40 here.

Or, I know! How about you just remind me to make it in July. Because I’ll forget but it sounds amazing.

Would love to comment BUT I am running to the store for the ingredients so I can make my holidays tolerable w/ this awesome drink! Thanks & Merry Christmas!!

I wonder if I could make ice cubes and have the kids run them thru the Snoopy Sno Cone Machine they’re getting for Christmas.
    I smell a new holiday tradition. Cinnamon rolls just aren’t doing it for me anymore.
    Tell me, do you think 7am is too early for a slushie? Be honest.

Adorable picture!!

The libation sounds great. I may have to get the hubs to whip one up for me. I’m not allowed to touch the blender because I burned up our last one. . . Kind of like the 4 vacuum cleaners i’ve killed off in the past year.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

8. Tiffany says

I totally live within a stone’s throw, so pony up and share the slushie!!!

Kay…that sounded slightly stalker ish. Haven’t had the slush but have had some to drink. Anyhoo, seriously live w/in the same city area and would LOVE to share wonderfully horrible stories about our kids (mine are 2 and 4).

Have a Happy New Year!!!

Ok – I totally made this recipe last night to take to a party tonight. (I actually doubled the recipe and poured into two gallon freezer bags)

They DIDN’T freeze up at all! What do I do?!?! I know that the combination of alcohol and sugar will keep the thing from freezing solid (and prevent me from looking like a deer at a salt lick), but DAMN!

What did I do wrong?

For the record, I’m still taking it and mixing with sprite. If any asshole says anything they don’t get any of the 2 pints of whiskey I sacrificed to the cause!

• says

Update: I’m an ass. My freezer sucks. I moved the goods from the upright fridge-freezer to our chest freezer and all is good in the world of slushies-that’ll-get-you-drunk!
      Happy New Year!

10. Kat (@kathym425) says

I love that pic of your kids – so adorable! I have absolutely got to try that slush. I can think of a couple of friends who would love to polish off a batch of that with me :)

Oh my. I made this last night for my soccer/camping family Christmas Party. When we all go camping, each family takes turns making a “Drink of the Day” each day. I told everyone I was making a drink from one of my favorite blogs for our party. They loved it so much it’s now my official DOTD for camp. I didn’t make it the day before so it didn’t slush up, so I put it in the blender with ice. Perfecto! I have to figure out how to bring the blender to camp now and hook it up to the car battery!
    Thanks to you and your mom for the recipe! The drink definitely overshadowed my lasagna. Maybe it ws a good thing I served the drink before we ate!

Okay, so this is an awesome post because I got a margarita machine in a Christmas gift exchange, and tequila and I don’t really hang out much because she was a big ol bitch to me in my early twenties, so I was trying to figure out what I could make in it with whiskey or bourbon. I was just gonna do ice, sprite, and whiskey, which prolly wouldn’t have worked, but you, my friend, just gave me the best idea!

13. Dawn says

Sooo, I’m new to your blog…but I love it! When I found this recipe, just knew we had to make it. We opted for the Slutty Rum Slush cuz that’s how we roll. Delish! We managed to polish off 2 batches last night. One with Orange Rum and one w/Dark Rum…Amazing!

Thanks for sharing! :)